When heading to the Bavarian Alps in Germany we were more than excited to explore the Alpine Road. With nothing booked in advance and little to no planning before taking off, we were ready for anything! Once we were on the German Alpine Road we also realized how close Austria was. Feeling spontaneous, we couldn’t pass up the chance to see another amazing European country. Hopefully, this Southern Germany itinerary can help you plan your next Bavaria road trip, and consider adding a detour into Austria like we did!
Germany Travel Inspiration
- Driving the Romantic Road in Germany & Our Top 5 Highlights
- 10 Fun Travel Tips for an Epic Germany Road Trip
- 8 Reasons to Visit the Amazing Rocks of Externsteine Germany
- Queen Mary’s Bridge: How to Get the Best View of Neuschwanstein Castle
- 8 Best Tips For Your First Visit to Rothenburg ob der Tauber Germany
One Week German Alpine Road Trip
Start/End: Munich, Germany – If you’re short on time then the easiest way to do this German Alpine road trip would be to fly in and out of Munich International Airport. Make sure to leave an extra day or two to visit Munich as it’s one of Germany’s most magical major cities.
Rental Car: We use Discover Cars to explore when traveling. Consider renting a car in one city and dropping it off in another for an epic Germany road trip!
Day One: Füssen Germany
- Hike to the top of the city and visit the High Castle of Füssen.
- Enjoy the cafe culture in the lively city center.
- Visit Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau Castle.
- Rent bikes and take in the views of the Bavarian Alps in Germany.
- Hike to Queen Mary’s Bridge.
Distance to Next Stop: 1 Hour – 59 Km
Check out the latest prices for where to stay in Füssen.
Day Two: Garmisch-Partenkirchen Germany
- Take a cable car to the top of Zugspitze, the highest mountain in Germany.
- Hike Partnach Gorge just outside of the city center.
- Visit the Linderhof Palace which is the smallest of the King Ludwig II Palaces.
- Wander through the streets of the city and enjoy one of the many traditional Bavarian Alps restaurants.
- Go skiing if visiting during the winter months.
Distance to Next Stop: 20 min – 17 Km
We highly recommended taking a detour to Lake Walchensee. This was by far some of the most beautiful and clear water we saw on our entire trip!
Check out the latest prices for where to stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Day Three: Mittenwald Germany
- Enjoy one of the most beautiful small towns in all of Germany.
- Hike the Karwendel Alps or take the cable car to the top.
- Enjoy a beer at the Mittenwald Brewery which opened in 1860.
- If you’re in town on a Tuesday you can also take a tour of the Mittenwald Brewery.
- Ski the Alps in the winter months and take in the Bavarian Alps of Germany.
- Detour off the German Alpine Road and venture into Austria.
Distance to Next Stop: 45 min – 41Km
Check out the latest prices for where to stay in Mittenwald.
Day Four: Innsbruck Austria
- Get lost in the beautiful streets of old town.
- Take the cable car from Innsbruck to Seegrube for panoramic views of the city.
- Visit Ambras Castle and stroll through the immaculate gardens.
- Have dinner at the top of the famous Bergisel Ski Jump.
- Of course if you go in winter hit the world-famous ski slopes.
Distance to Next Stop: 2 Hours 15 min – 155 Km
Check out the latest prices for where to stay in Innsbruck.
Day Five: Berchtesgaden and Lake Königssee Germany
- Take an electric boat tour ride of the lake.
- Hike around the base of Lake Königssee for incredible views of the Bavarian Alps.
- Jump in and cool off in the crystal clear water.
- Explore the old town of Berchtesgaden.
- Visit the Eagle’s Nest.
Distance to Next Stop: 1 Hour 15 min – 72 Km
Check out the latest prices for where to stay in Berchtesgaden/Königssee
Day Six: Hallstatt Austria
- Walk around the small downtown area.
- Head to the famous Hallstatt Viewpoint for a photo.
- Rent an electric boat and see Hallstatt from the lake.
- Hike above the city for amazing waterfalls and views.
- Visit a 7,000 year old salt mine that’s said to be the oldest in the world.
Distance to Next Stop: 1 Hour 10 min – 71 Km
Check out the latest prices for where to stay in Hallstatt.
Day Seven: Salzburg Austria
- Hike up to the 11th century fortress of Hohensalzburg.
- Visit the Marabell Palace and gardens.
- Check out the marble domed Salzburg Cathedral.
- Go shopping on the busy street of Getreidegasse.
- See the birthplace of Mozart.
Distance to Next Stop: 1 Hour 15 min – 85 Km
Check out the latest prices for where to stay in Salzburg.
Have any recommendations for a Bavaria road trip or stops along the German Alpine Road? How about any questions about our Austria and Bavaria road trip? Let us know about your Germany itinerary in the comments below!
Brigitte and Jake
Where in the world are we? Follow our daily adventures on Instagram @nothingfamiliar!
Pin For Later ↓
Germany Travel Planning
Flights: We always find the best flights using Skyscanner. Sometimes it’s cheaper to fly between cities in Germany than driving or taking the train!
Tours: Check out Get Your Guide for hundreds of activities around the country. You can find everything from a Hamburg harbor cruise, to a Berlin walking tour, and day trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein castle.
Travel Insurance: Never travel abroad without being covered! We’ve been using SafetyWing for the last few years on the road and they are there when we need them.
*We receive a commission for purchases made through links in this post. This allows us to continue our travels and keep providing great content to our readers! Also, as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.