The county of Osona has long held a special place deep in the Pyrenees mountains. Visiting Rupit is like taking a step back in time to this small medieval Spanish village filled with stone walkways and beautiful river views. So whether you’re visiting on a day trip from Barcelona or spending the night nearby, our quick Rupit Spain travel guide has you covered!
- Planning a Trip to Spain: 10 Step Easy to Follow Vacation Guide
- 22 Fun & Interesting Facts About Spain That Might Surprise You
- 40 Popular Spanish Foods & Drinks: Best Tapas, Seafood, and Much More
- Vueling Airlines: 5 Tips for Flying on a Budget in Spain
- The Plato del Dia: How to Order Spain’s Delicious 3 Course Budget Lunch
Day Trip from Barcelona to Rupit Spain
This small medieval Spanish village has become a popular day trip from Barcelona, and for good reason. If you take the highway the drive is under two hours.
However, you can also get out into the Spanish countryside to see the beautiful sights along the way like we did. Whatever you decide, this medieval Spanish village is more than worth the trip!
What to Expect When You Arrive
What was once a medieval Spanish village has transformed over the years to the tourist destination you see today. In all honesty, the town is small so it won’t take more than an hour or two to walk through the streets and explore the village.
Still, be prepared to leave in awe of the old stone buildings, friendly locals, and mountains in the distance.
When you first arrive in town there is a large outdoor parking garage that you should use. The streets are small and you’re not allowed to drive through the center of town. After parking you can cross the suspension bridge to enter Rupit.
5 Fun Facts About Rupit Spain
1. The Sant Joan de Fabregues church and its castle date back to the 10th century. That means people have been living in Rupit for over 1,000 years!
2. The origin of the town name goes back to the Latin word “Rupes” which means rock. Once you get a look at the massive boulders surrounding the town it’s easy to why.
3. Despite being touristy, Rupit Spain still retains its local charm with a population of just under three hundred. Most of the residents still live in stone houses that were built back in the 16th century.
4. There are many nice hiking routes into the Pyrenees surrounding Rupit. Keep your eyes open for eagles and vultures flying around the cliffs.
5. Rupit Spain is located just 98 km from the Catalonian capital. This makes it ideal for a day trip from Barcelona!
Exploring the Medieval Spanish Village
Walking through the old cobblestone streets of Rupit Spain is quite the experience. We felt like we were taking a stroll back in time as we fully took in our surroundings.
Some of the highlights are the walking bridge, giant staircase in the center of town, and the hanging flower pots along the walls. This one of a kind medieval Spanish village is definitely a must see if you’re driving through Osona county.
Shopping for Local Goods in Rupit Spain
Last but not least… Don’t forget to get some local goods before you leave town! Rupit Spain has many gift shops where you can buy something unique to take home with you.
The trinkets range from food to Christmas ornaments, and even local liquors. There’s also a small bar and restaurant near the main parking lot if you’d like a coffee or meal.
Have any questions about Rupit Spain or our drive through Osona County? Feel free to comment below!
Brigitte & Jake
Where in the world are we? Follow our daily adventures on Instagram @nothingfamiliar!
Pin For Later ↓
Spain Travel Planning
Flights: We always find the best flights using Skyscanner. Sometimes it’s cheaper to fly between cities in Spain than driving or taking the train!
Rental Car: We use Discover Cars to explore when traveling. Consider renting a car in one city and dropping it off in another for an epic Spain road trip!
Tours: Check out Get Your Guide for thousands of activities around Spain. You can book a tour of the Madrid Royal Palace, skip the line and explore the Alhambra de Granada, or even jump on a Tenerife Dolphin cruise!
Travel Insurance: Never travel abroad without protection! We’ve been using SafetyWing for the last few years on the road and they are there when we need them.
*We receive a commission for purchases made through links in this post. This allows us to continue our travels and keep providing great content to our readers! Also, as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.