Looking for where to stay in Malta? From the historic streets of Valletta to the fishing village of Marsaxlokk, there is truly an area that’s perfect for every type of traveler. Join us as we cover the most popular areas to stay, hidden gems, and the best hotels in Malta!
PIN FOR LATER ↓
Malta Travel Inspiration
- 25 Wild & Fun Facts About Malta to Know Before You Go
- Renting a Car in Malta? Here are 7 Important Tips to Know First!
- Blue Lagoon Malta: 10 Things to Know Before Your Epic Island Adventure
- Planning a Trip to Malta: 10 Step Easy to Follow Travel Guide
Where to Stay in Malta: 8 Best Areas & Hotels
Starting in the heart of Malta, Valletta is not only the capital but a stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site. Hotels in this part of Malta are upscale and you will have endless history to explore right on your doorstep. Staying in Valletta is perfect if you really want to experience the main city, including the lively nightlife and great restaurants.
- Ultra Luxury – Rosselli – High-end hotel set in a 17th century building once owned by the Knights of Malta.
- Fun Vacay – Palais Le Brun – Upscale accommodation in the center of Valletta with an outdoor swimming pool, fitness center, and terrace.
- Historic Stay – Casa Rocca Piccola B&B – Spend the night inside a living museum that was once home to a noble family of Malta.
- Small Apartment – Paulos Valletta – This aparthotel offers gorgeous units with a kitchenette, sitting area, and some even with a balcony.
Just across the bay from Valletta is the beautiful town of Sliema. This is a solid base and location for several days to see the area. Here you are a 20-minute walk from St. Julians, a quick ferry ride to Valletta, and you can even reach the Three Cities easily. Sliema is known for the strand which runs along the water filled with shops, cafes, restaurants, and some of the best hotels in Malta.
- Fun Vacation – 1926 Hotel & SPA – At the hippest hotel in Sliema you’ll have a spa, wellness center, and outdoor infinity pool in the seasonal beach club.
- Budget-Friendly – 115 The Strand Hotel by NEU Collective – Set on the sea promenade of Sliema with spacious rooms, and an amazing dining room/bar with views of the harbor.
- Great Location – Waterfront – Close to the Valletta ferry, and equipped with two swimming pools and modern amenities.
- Hostel Life – Two Pillows Boutique Hostel – Everything from shared dorm rooms to suites with spa access. This Malta hostel has it all!
3. St. Julians
St. Julian is a fun town just up the coast from Sliema. Here you’ll find Malta hotels, bars, restaurants, and colorful cafes. People can be seen all along the rocks of St. Julian playing in the clear ocean water.
St. Julians is known as the party area on the island with many hostel options available. While this is true, there are also wonderful swimming spots, fine dining restaurants, and more of the best hotels in Malta.
- Ultra Luxury – InterContinental Malta – Stunning upscale hotel in the heart of St. Julians with its own private beach and swimming pools. Our favorite is the Skybeach infinity pool!
- Resort Stay – Hilton Malta – This global resort has views of the ocean, endless swimming pools to enjoy, and all the amenities of a 5-star hotel.
- Boutique Hotel – Hotel Juliani – Lovely boutique property that overlooks Spinola Bay. When you’re not relaxing in your room enjoy some sun on the rooftop terrace.
- Hostel Life – Inhawi Boutique Hostel – Inhwai is an elegant hostel in the center of St. Julian’s. It makes for the perfect location and also a great place to meet other travelers.
4. The Three Cities
Just across the river from Valletta is a historic area known as the Three Cities. It’s made up of Vittoriosa, Senglea, and Cospicua, which all have their own story to tell.
The Three Cities is where to stay in Malta if you want a quiet spot, but still just a quick boat ride from the capital. Full of history, churches, and gorgeous harbors, the Three Cities also make for a good long-term vacation stay.
- Ultra Luxury – Cugo Gran Macina Grand Harbour – Here you will feel like you’re staying in a stone castle just with all the modern amenities you need.
- Unique Hotel – BOCO Boutique Hotel – This unique Malta hotel has fun decor and is located a quick walk to the ferry port.
- Apartment – Casa Cara – Nice apartments in the Birgu area of the Three Cities. Walking distance to Rinella Bay Beach and other nearby attractions.
Often described as a small fishing village, this coastal town is actually full of life! From the moment you arrive, you’ll be greeted by hundreds of boats, bustling cafes, and tasty restaurants.
It isn’t the most central location on the island but it still has its draws for a night or two. The weekly Sunday fish market is famous in Malta and sells everything from fresh seafood to clothing and spices. It’s also close by to St. Peter’s Pool which is a must-visit swimming hole!
- Fun Vacation – Fisherman’s Cove Guesthouse – Just steps from the harbor and restaurants of Marsaxlokk. Rooms with stunning sea views and breakfast included.
- Bed & Breakfast – Dun Gorg Guest House – Great location near the colorful boats and water. Bed and breakfast with spacious rooms and everything you’ll need to enjoy your stay.
This stunning castle town sits in the center of the island overlooking Malta. The unique town of Rabat surrounding Mdina ended up being one of our favorite places to stay and take in the history of the fort. Many travelers only visit on a day trip so staying in town will be a special experience. It’s also a much quieter, relaxing area than St. Julians or Sliema.
- Ultra Luxury – The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux – Enjoy a special stay inside the Mdina walls in a 17th-century building. This five-star hotel has beautiful views of the island and ocean in the distance.
- Fun Vacation – Point de Vue – Just outside the city walls of Mdina, this traditional hotel is a good option to base yourself from. Do your best to book one of the rooms with a view!
- Budget-Friendly – My Travel House – Traditional guesthouse located in Rabat, just a quick walk from the city walls of Mdina. Good value with a wonderful breakfast included.
→ Visiting the Ancient Silent City in Malta: Fun Mdina Travel Guide
7. St Paul’s Bay
This coastal town is popular with travelers as it’s close to many of the famous beaches on Malta. There’s a large walkway that runs along the ocean with many swimming spots, restaurants, and cafes. You can find everything from Malta hotels to homestays that fit every budget.
- Aparthotel – Park Lane Boutique – Family-run hotel with an epic rooftop pool and panoramic views of St. Paul’s Bay.
- Large Resort – Dolmen Hotel Malta – Ready for luxury right on the beach? Dolmen has six pools, an on-site restaurant, and private beach access.
- Fun Vacay – AX Seashells Resort – Stylish rooms with balconies and amazing views of the sea.
Where to Stay in Malta… On a Different Island??
Yes, when looking for the best hotels in Malta you should know there are 3 islands! Comino is uninhabited but Gozo has plenty going on It’s extremely easy to get to Gozo from Malta, and it’s totally worth the trip!
Gozo is for travelers looking for an experience unique from the big island. Small bed-and-breakfasts and farm stays are all the rage, and will truly show you a different side of Malta. This is also a great place to travel to the famous Blue Lagoon from.
- Ultra Luxury – Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz – Kempinski has private balconies overlooking the countryside to endless gardens and swimming pools. Known for having the largest Ayurveda health center in the Mediterranean, there are endless activities on the property to enjoy.
- Boutique Hotel – Viewpoint Boutique Living – As one of the highest-rated properties on the island it’s always in high demand. Viewpoint Boutique living has extravagant rooms, a great location, and helpful staff. Spend your days exploring the island or simply enjoying the outdoor pool.
- Bed & Breakfast – Maxija B&B – Located in the village of Gharb, Maxija B&B is a fun place for travelers discovering Malta’s west coast. Take in the pool, garden, and outdoor terraces at this beautiful bed and breakfast.
- Budget-Friendly – All Nations Holiday Home – Spacious rooms with lovely balconies in the town of Ghajnsielem. Hang out in the shared kitchen while being close to all the best things to do in Gozo.
→ 10 Best Things to do on Gozo Island: The Ultimate Malta Day Trip
Have any questions about where to stay in Malta? How about an amazing Malta hotel that you’d recommend to other travelers? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Brigitte & Jake
Where in the world are we? Follow our daily adventures on Instagram @nothingfamiliar!
Where to Stay in Malta Travel Planning
Information: Explore our Malta articles, amazing destinations around the world, travel planning tips, street food guides, and more.
Flights: We always find great flight deals using Skyscanner and Kayak. This way you can plan your trip around the cheapest and most direct routes.
Accommodation: Compare multiple sites to get to the best deal such as Booking.com and Agoda! Also, Hostelworld should be your go-to source if you’re traveling on a budget.
Rental Car: We use Discover Cars to rent vehicles on our travels. Even though Malta is small, you will want a car to get to all the best towns and beaches.
Tours: Check out Get Your Guide for hundreds of activities around the country. Book a trip to the Blue Lagoon on a Catamaran, go on a full-day quad bike tour of Gozo, or join a 3-Hour Walking Tour of Valletta.
Travel Insurance: Never travel abroad without being covered! We’ve been using SafetyWing for the last few years on the road and they are there when we need them.
Packing Lists: Find all the inspiration you need with our Amazon packing lists. Including our electronics and camera gear, must-have medical items, and long flight essentials!
*We receive a commission for purchases made through links in this post. This allows us to continue our travels and keep providing great content to our readers! Also, as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a great guide thank you! I think we will settle on St Paul’s Bay as its close to the beaches where the kids want to be.
Glad you liked it! Maui is such a great island for kids and St Paul’s Bay is a beautiful area. Hope you have the best trip ever (-: