Need some motivation for your next hike? These 55 hiking and mountain climbing quotes are sure to inspire you! We cover everything from hilariously funny quotes to ultra-deep sayings about nature. We even included some hiking quotes for Instagram at the end of this blog!
More Travel Lists & Tips
- 10 Cheapest Countries to Travel to on Your Next Vacation
- How to Plan a Trip Anywhere: 10 Step Easy Guide
- 25 Fun & Exciting Things to Do in Maui
- Packing For A Day Hike: 10 Essentials We Always Carry
- 15 Fun Things to Do in Venice on Your First Visit
Let us start off this hiking quotes article with some of our absolute favorites!
1. “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
2. “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” — Sir Martin Conway
3. “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” — Wilma Rudolph
4. “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.” – Harley King
5. “Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong.” — Jennifer Pharr Davis
6. “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” — Beverly Sills
7. “You need mountains. Long staircases don’t make good hikers.” — Amit Kalantri
8. “Over every mountain, there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.” — Theodore Roethke
9. “We don’t stop hiking because we grow old — we grow old because we stop hiking” — Finis Mitchell
10. “Trekking means a traveling experience with a thrilling excitement.” — Amit Kalantri
Quotes About Hiking
These amazing quotes about hiking had us ready to climb a mountain!
11. “The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.” — Robert Frost
12. “The experienced mountain climber is not intimidated by a mountain – he is inspired by it.” — William Arthur Ward
13. “Leave the road, take the trails.” — Pythagoras
14. “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” — Ed Viesturs
15. “Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” — Yvon Chouinard
16. “You won, this time. But you are as big as you are ever going to get. And I’m still growing.” — Sir Edmund Hillary
17. “Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking. You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.” — Cindy Ross
18. “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” — Friedrich Neitszche
19. “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” — Edward Abbey
20. “A tourist follows a trail; a mountaineer finds one.” — Reinhold Messner
Some of the best hiking quotes have to do with the actual mountains. There is so much to see out in nature!
21. “In the mountains, there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can’t.” — Rusty Baillie
22. “It is the mountain that has been calling me, and it’s time to answer.” — Susan Jagannath
23. “The mountains were there and so was I.” — Maurice Herzog
24. “You never climb the same mountain twice, not even in memory. Memory rebuilds the mountain, changes the weather, retells the jokes, remakes all the moves.” — Lito Tejada-Flores
25. “Mountains know secrets we need to learn. That it might take time, it might be hard, but if you just hold on long enough, you will find the strength to rise up.” — Tyler Knott
26. “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits” — Harley King
27. “Mountains teach that not everything in this world can be rationally explained.” — Aleksander Lwow
28. “Going to the mountains is like going home” — John Muir
29. “The mountains whisper for me to wander; my soul hikes to the call.” — Angie Weiland Crosby
Mountain Climbing Quotes
This is one of our favorite outdoor activities so it’s only natural that we love these mountain climbing quotes!
30. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” — Erol Ozan
31. “The higher you climb on the mountain, the harder the wind blows.” — Sam Cummings
32. “Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence.” — Hermann Buhl
33. “Climb mountains, not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world” — David McCullough Jr
34. “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” — Andy Rooney
35. “The long-distance hiker, a breed set apart, from the likes of the usual pack. He’ll shoulder his gear, be hittin’ the trail; long gone, long ‘fore he’ll be back.” — M.J. Eberhart
36. “Highest of heights, I climb this mountain and feel one with the rock and grit and solitude echoing back at me.” — Bradley Chicho
37. “The mountains are calling and I must go.” — John Muir
38. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” — Greg Child
39. “Every mountain has its soul… if the mountain does not accept you and you don’t submit to her will, she will destroy you.” — Bernadette McDonald
Funny Hiking Quotes
It’s important to be able to laugh at yourself, especially when you’re doing such a strenuous activity! Check out these funny quotes about hiking.
40. “Hiking is the only slightly less ugly stepsister of running.” — Lindy Hughes
41. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing the lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” — Jack Kerouac
42. “I like being near the top of a mountain. One can’t get lost here.” — Wislawa Szymborska
43. “Happiness and hiking go hand in hand or foot in boot.” — Diane Spicer
44. “Hiking—much like drinking—is something that sounds more fun to the uninitiated than it actually is.” — Mindy McGinnis
45. “The best thing one can do when it’s raining is to let it rain.” — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
46. “Hiking is just walking where it’s okay to pee.” — Demetri Martin
Hiking Quotes for Instagram
For all our IG users we’ve included some cool hiking quotes for Instagram.
47. “In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.” — Aristotle
48. “Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” — David McCullough Jr.
49. “The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot.” — Werner Herzog
50. “If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere.” — Vincent Van Gogh
51. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” — Barry Finlay
52. “Travelers, there is no path, paths are made by walking.” — Antonio Machado
53. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” — Confucius
54. “Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better.” — Albert Einstein
55. “A walk in nature walks the soul back home.” — Mary Davis
More Travel Quotes
- 75 Inspirational Travel Quotes With Photos (#53 is Our Favorite!)
- 44 New Journey Quotes That Will Inspire You to Travel the Globe
- 62 Exciting Adventure Quotes That Will Make You Drop Everything
Have any questions on these quotes about hiking or want to share your own favorite mountain quotes? Leave us a comment!
Brigitte & Jake
Where in the world are we? Follow our daily adventures on Instagram @nothingfamiliar!
PIN FOR LATER ↓
Nothing Familiar Travel Guide
Flights: We always find our cheap flight deals using Skyscanner. That’s how we flew from Norway to Poland for under $20 USD, and Thailand to Vietnam for less than $50!
Rental Car: We use Discover Cars to explore when traveling. A quick travel tip is to ask for a weekly rate than just booking 2-3 days.
Tours: Check out Get Your Guide to find thousands of activities around the world. From street food tours to skip the line entry passes!
Travel Insurance: Never travel abroad without protection. We’ve been using SafetyWing for the last few years on the road and they are there when we need them.
*We receive a commission for purchases made through links in this post. This allows us to continue our travels and keep providing great content to our readers! Also, as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.