No visit to Thailand would be complete without traveling to the popular area of Krabi! Ao Nang is the main hub and a great spot to start your adventure. We’ve been to this region several times and stayed at some of the best Ao Nang hotels in Krabi Thailand. However, we know firsthand that picking the right accommodation can be overwhelming. Below we share some helpful information as well the best hotels in Ao Nang Beach!
Where is Ao Nang Thailand?
Ao Nang is a small beachfront town in the Krabi province of Thailand. It can be a little confusing when reading about “Krabi” before your visit.
That’s because this is a massive area that covers not only Ao Nang, but also the famous Railay Beach and other top places to stay. The main reason it is a little tricky is that there is also Krabi Town near the beach. Here’s our full guide for how to get from Ao Nang to Railay if you’re planning a visit.
Ao Nang is in the heart of Krabi and a popular option for travelers who just arrived in the area. It’s also a great place to start your island-hopping from with longtail boats going to many of the beautiful islands like Phi Phi and Koh Lanta.
Below are the time and distances to get to Ao Nang from several destinations. Also, be sure to check out the 16 Best Hotels on Phi Phi Island if you’re heading there after.
- Krabi International Airport: 30 to 50 minutes depending on traffic (Book Your Transfer Here)
- Krabi Town: 20 to 30 minute drive (Book Your Transfer Here)
- Railay Beach: 15-minute Longtail Boat
- Phi Phi Island: 1 hour speed boat (Book it Here)
Picking Your Ao Nang Krabi Hotels
Which Part of Ao Nang is best to stay?
However, for a longer trip, some of the best Ao Nang hotels are tucked back into the hillside. If you choose to stay here you’ll need to take a tuk tuk taxi or rent a motorbike to get around.
Is Krabi Town or Ao Nang Better?
Personally, we like Ao Nang Beach! We have stayed in Krabi Town before, but it feels more like a city instead of a fun beach area. Ao Nang has a long beach that is great for catching some sun rays and watching the sunset.
Many Ao Nang hotels are near the gorgeous sea and perfectly capture its natural surroundings. It’s also the best location to catch the ferry from in the morning.
What About Ao Nang or Railay Beach?
Ao Nang feels like it is more set up for tourists, while Railay is more of a fun destination for outdoor lovers. It is possible to stay in Ao Nang and make a day trip to Railay Beach. Yet, we recommend spending a few days in both places if your itinerary allows for it.
How Do You Get to Ao Nang Thailand?
If you are coming by sea the closest ferry port is Nopparat Thara Pier in Ao Nang (check out ferry routes and ticket prices). Otherwise, after flying into the Krabi Airport you can hire a driver through most Ao Nang hotels.
Best 5-Star Ao Nang Hotels in Krabi
To be honest, there aren’t any 5-Star Ao Nang hotels directly in town. However, if this is what you are looking for, there are several in the area. Just a quick taxi or speedboat ride away and you have the option of staying at one of these amazing high-end resorts. Some of which are considered the best luxury hotels in the world!
1. Rayavadee – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – This hotel is exactly what you dream of when you think about a luxurious beachfront holiday in Thailand. The hotel is in the best part of Railay Beach and is complete with a full-service spa, multiple fine-dining restaurants, and beachfront pool villas.
2. Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – Located on Klong Muang Beach, Dusit Thani is just a 15 minute ride from Ao Nang! This beautiful luxury resort is part of the leading hotel line in Thailand. It’s perfect for those who want a more relaxed tropical paradise vacation.
3. Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – This huge resort is a popular option for families. Children will love the kids club and a gigantic 22,966 square foot outdoor swimming pool!.
4. Phulay Bay, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – This hotel takes 5-star to a whole different level with it’s stunning decor and spacious villas. Not only is it a luxurious resort, but has became internationally known after being featured in the movie “The Hangover.”
5. Banyan Tree Krabi – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – A unique luxury resort that feels like you’re in a Thai palace. The architecture is unlike any other hotel in the area, and it has the highest level of service in an extremely exclusive setting.
6. Amari Vogue Krabi – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – This hotel is in a private section of Tub Kaek Beach. It has modern Thai decor and is just a 20-minute drive from Ao Nang Thailand.
Best Hotels in Ao Nang For a Fun Vacation
Looking for a great holiday spot right in town? These are some of the best Ao Nang hotels that every traveler will love! Some are right on the white sandy beaches, while others are just a quick tuk tuk or scooter ride away.
7. Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi -$$ – Photos & Current Prices – This is the closest resort to Ao Nang town and the hotel can be easily accessed by speedboat. The rooms are decorated in a Thai beach style and the large beachfront pool is a highlight of the property.
8. Ban Sainai Resort – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – This is a beautiful boutique hotel with a tropical jungle setting just outside of town. The outdoor pool is surrounded by palm trees and under the tall limestone cliffs which tower above town.
9. The L Resort Krabi – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – L Resort is just steps from Ao Nang Beach. The rooms are modern and a great place for travelers spending night or two passing through town.
10. Centara Ao Nang Beach Resort & Spa Krabi – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – Set right on the beach, this is one of the best hotels in Ao Nang in the center of the action. It has everything from a fitness centre to a pool, beach bar, and of course private balcony sea views.
11. Krabi Resort – Photos & Current Prices – We would only recommend Krabi Resort if you book one of the tropical pool villas. The private pools are incredible and you’ll even have direct access to the beach! Read all about our own stay at Krabi Resort here.
12. BlueSotel SMART Krabi Aonang Beach – Photos & Current Prices – This is one of the few adults-only properties and just a two-minute walk from Ao Nang Beach. The rooftop pool and bar is an amazing spot to chill out and looks out over town.
Best Ao Nang Hotels on a Budget
Are you traveling through Thailand on a tight budget, but not feeling the hostel life? There are several Ao Nang hotels whether you’re a solo traveler, a couple touring around, or group of friends!
13. Mini House Aonang Hotel – Photos & Current Prices – Large rooms with a cozy decor that’s great for those on holiday or working remotely. There are outdoor areas for each room and a traditional on-site restaurant.
14. The Meeting House Aonang – Photos & Current Prices – Located close to both Nopparat Thara Beach and Ao Nang Beach, the rooms are basic. Still, the Meeting House makes for a good base to spend your days exploring.
15. Addjitresort Aonang – Photos & Current Prices – This budget hotel has basic bungalow rooms with an outdoor swimming pool. It’s also just a 10-minute walk to town at a reasonable price.
16. Aonang Inn – Photos & Current Prices – Photos & Current Prices – Large rooms with a small balcony. The hotel is a simple, but a good option if you are traveling on a budget. We recommend Aonang Inn if you plan to spend most of your time out and about.
Cheap Hostels in Ao Nang Thailand
Hostels can be a great way to save money on your trip instead of spending it on Ao Nang hotels. They’re also a fun place to meet other solo travelers and even get ideas for where to go after your stay in Krabi.
18. Sanim Hostel – Photos & Current Prices – This spot has both hostel beds and private double rooms available. It’s directly across from the beach and quick walk or tuk tuk ride away from the main area of Ao Nang!
19. Glur Hostel – Photos & Current Prices – This exciting accommodation has a pool which is not common for hostels. The property is surrounded by tropical greenery with outdoor hang out areas and hammocks.
20. K-Bunk Hostel – Photos & Current Prices – Located 1.2 miles from the beach and one of the most popular hotels in Ao Nang for solo travelers.
5 Tips For Booking the Best Ao Nang Hotels
Plan Ahead in High Season: As you can imagine, Ao Nang Thailand is one of the most famous towns and a jump-off point to so many other destinations. Make sure to book your accommodations in advance if you are traveling around the high-season, especially during the holidays!
Off-Season Prices: Alternatively, if you are traveling on a budget, consider visiting in off or swing season. The best hotels in Ao Nang Krabi can often drop to a 1/3rd of the price during this time period. This is a great way to get more for your money and stay at nicer hotels that you many not normally be able to afford.
Tuk Tuks: These open-air taxis are found all over town and are the best way to get around. They make it easy to find your way to the beach if you choose one of the Ao Nang hotels that’s a bit further away. Just make sure to confirm the price before you get in so you don’t have any surprises at the end of your ride.
Tours from Town: If you want to use Ao Nang as your base there are plenty of tours to see the different sights. Some of the most popular are the 7 Islands Sunset Tour with BBQ Dinner and Snorkeling and the Ao Nang Elephant Sanctuary. You can also book a Private Luxury Longtail Boat or see the Phi Phi Sunrise & 4 Islands by Speedboat!
Continuing After Ao Nang: The best way to check all the ferries, trains and buses is to use the website 12go! This will give you an idea of how to get to your next destination in Thailand after staying at some of the best hotels in Ao Nang.
Have any questions about this article or want to share more of your favorite Ao Nang Krabi hotels? Let us know in the comments below!
Brigitte & Jake
PIN FOR LATER ↓
Thailand Travel Planning
Transportation: While traveling through Thailand 12Go is where we find all our ferries, trains, buses, and transfers! You can find everything from island hopping speed boats to the night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
Tours: Check out Get Your Guide to find activities all over Phuket! You can find everything from a James Bond island luxury sunset cruise, to Phuket Old Town 15-taster food adventure, and 5-hour island tour!
Travel Insurance: Never travel abroad without protection. We’ve been using SafetyWing for the last few years on the road and they are there when we need them.