Planning a trip to the tropical island of Koh Lanta? Often praised as a favorite of travelers in Thailand, you’ll quickly discover what makes this island so unique. When looking for the best Koh Lanta hotels there is something for every type of traveler and budget. From 5-star luxury escapes to boutique hotels, and even hostels! After many visits we’ll share some of our favorite hotels on Koh Lanta and explain the different areas to help plan your trip.
How to Get to Koh Lanta Thailand
Getting to Koh Lanta is easy with how well connected travel in Thailand is. However, you’ll want to carefully plan your route if it’s not on the typical tourist route.
Krabi International Airport: The closest place to fly into on the way to Koh Lanta is Krabi Airport. From there, you’ll still have a small adventure to get to the island. The simplest way is to hire a driver (check the prices here) which you can arrange through your accommodation.
Some of the best Koh Lanta hotels like Layana Resort & Spa offer a complimentary transfer with your hotel room. After that, know that you will still have a two-hour drive and quick ferry crossing to get there.
Krabi Town: As with Krabi Airport, you can hire a driver for the fastest route. The other option is to pick a shared van which will cost you around $10 USD per person (book your ticket here!).
This takes a little longer because there are select departure times and they may need to drop off multiple travelers. Still, for the price you really can’t beat it!
Koh Phi Phi: Another popular route is taking the 45 minute speedboat from Koh Phi Phi to Koh Lanta (book your tickets here). Just make sure you choose the direct option if you’re planning to go this way.
Otherwise, you will have to go to Krabi first and the trip will be much longer. You can read all about our route from Phi Phi to Koh Lanta here.
How Many Days to Do Need on Koh Lanta?
Honestly, this can be a tough one. The thing that many travelers don’t realize is that the island of Koh Lanta is actually very large. You need at least one full day to explore if you want to see most of the highlights.
However, there is something extremely special about this island as well. From our experience, it’s the type of place where you don’t want to go for just a day or two. You can easily spend a week or more enjoying the best Koh Lanta hotels and soaking in the island life.
Our mornings are usually spent taking long walks on the beach, fresh seafood and cold coconuts are a norm, and every night amazing fire shows line the coast. Make sure to check out some of our favorite things to do on Koh Lanta here!
The first time we went to Koh Lanta we spent one week and instantly fell in love. So much so, that the next time we ended up staying for two!
As remote workers we have this freedom. Yet, if you simply want to go for a couple nights to a 5 Star hotel in Koh Lanta Thailand you totally can, too.
What’s the Best Area to Stay on Koh Lanta?
Before you start researching the best Koh Lanta hotels you should understand the different areas of the island. Almost all the hotels are located on the west coast with the east being largely undeveloped.
There is a small community with some accommodations in Lanta Old Town. Still, we would only recommend visiting there and not spending the night in this region.
Traveling along the main road on the west coast will take you by many of the best beaches! If you are going to stay at one of the three 5-Star hotels then you don’t need to worry about the location.
Really, these exclusive properties speak for themselves. For the others though, it’s a good idea to to find an area that you want to be in and book your accommodations based on that.
Personally, we love Long Beach and Lanta Klong Nin Beach the most! Below we’ll share more about the island as well as what makes these two spots our favorites.
6 Tips For Staying in Koh Lanta Thailand
1. Remember that Koh Lanta is huge and it takes almost an hour to drive from the north to south. You can easily rent a motorbike from most Koh Lanta hotels to get around.
2. The main place where all the ferries arrive is in the north at Saladan Pier. In this case, it’s best to arrange a transfer with your hotel before you get there.
If it’s just a short drive to your Koh Lanta hotel you can hire one of the local tuk-tuk drivers who congregate at the pier. Just be sure to confirm the price before hopping in. These are our top 50 tips for a backpacking trip to Thailand.
3. Check the hotel calendars before booking hotels on Koh Lanta if your dates are flexible. Sometimes, the best Koh Lanta hotels drop their prices during the middle of the week. You also might find a better deal on a property you like if you wait a week or two.
4. You will find authentic Thai food all over the island. It’s common for smaller hotels not to have a restaurant.
Not to worry though! You can easily walk the beach and pop into one of the many local eateries and bars. These are our favorite Thai dishes to look out for!
5. There are many budget options with prices as low as $15 USD per night. As you’ll see, these are mostly recommended for longterm budget backpackers. Also, make sure to read our article about how much a trip to Thailand cost for more info on prices.
6. Almost all the Koh Lanta hotels offers basics like free wifi, massage services (or can tell you where to go), free parking, and so on.
5 Star Hotels in Koh Lanta Thailand
Below are the three 5 Star Hotels in Koh Lanta Thailand. If you are looking for the ultimate in luxury, world-class service, and dining, then these are the best places to stay!
Layana & Pimalai are regarded as two of the best hotels in the entire country. Rawi Warin is also a great luxury accommodation for those traveling with kids.
1. Layana Resort & Spa -$$$ – Photos & Current Prices – Rated as one of the best luxury hotels in Thailand, this beachfront resort is an unreal 5 Star property. They even offer free airport transfers from Krabi Airport to make the trip easier.
The hotel has a saltwater pool, beachfront dining, and a full-service spa. You can read all about our stay at Layana here!
2. Pimalai Resort & Spa – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – The elegant Pimalai Resort is another of the top luxury hotels in Thailand. It is built into the hills of Koh Lanta with beautiful palm trees, private pools, and a long white sand beach nearby.
3. Rawi Warin Resort & Spa – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – Large 5 Star resort and one of the best hotels on Koh Lanta for families. The majestic rooms have private balconies with sea views, there are 4 pools, and even a kids club.
Best Koh Lanta Hotels on Long Beach
Unsurprisingly, Long Beach gets its name for the massive stretch of beautiful white sand. Here there are many great hotels, bungalows, and hostels to pick from. There is truly something for everyone on Long Beach and it’s often the first place travelers stay when they arrive.
4. Long Beach Chalet – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – This tropical paradise is something out of a Thai dream! With upscale decor and modern bungalows, it will be the perfect place to relax on vacation. Hang out on the beach or in your private spa baths which are the top feature of the rooms.
5. Lanta Casa Blanca – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – Bright, fun, and stunning 4-Star accommodation which is one of the most popular on the island. Enjoy the large rooms, a big swimming pool, and having direct access to the beach.
6. The Mantra Navi – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – Unique and modern boutique-style hotel with spacious rooms. This adults-only property is just a two minute walk from the beach.
7. Lazy Days Bungalows – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – Upscale resort right on the water which has traditional style Thai bungalows. You will certainly get all the island feels from the wooden design and decor.
8. Fill – Feel @ Long Beach Resort -$ – Photos & Current Prices – Small property with private bungalows run by a local family. Hammocks hang from the patios as you are surrounded by lush jungle.
9. Bluesky Beach Bungalows – $ – Photos & Current Prices – Cheap bungalows just steps from the beach. The rooms are basic, but for the price you’ll be right on the water near all the best Long Beach activities.
10. Toongyoong Longbeach Resort – $ – Photos & Current Prices – Basic and inexpensive accommodations that get high ratings for its location and friendly owners. The small bungalow-style rooms have a little private balcony as well.
Best Koh Lanta Hotels on Klong Khong Beach
Klong Khong Beach is known for being more laid back than other parts of the island. It’s even gained a reputation for having a “hippy vibe” that travelers will love. This interesting beach town is a fun place to stay for both backpackers and groups visiting Koh Lanta.
11. El Pillax Lanta Resort – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – The small property has an outdoor pool and is known for its large restaurant and fire shows. This is one of the best Koh Lanta hotels which has everything you need on-site.
12. The Mellow Mango – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – Set back from the beach with a very welcoming feel. There is a beautiful outdoor space with a tropical forest atmosphere and even a swimming pool.
13. Lanta Fa Rung Beach Resort -$ – Photos & Current Prices – Friendly resort with cozy bungalows and beach access. The property also offers massages, motorbike rentals, and much more.
14. Lanta Fa Rung Beach Resort – $ – Photos & Current Prices – Bungalows right next to the the sandy beach. You can get a great deal by booking a room with a fan if you don’t mind going without air conditioning.
15. Scandinavian Beach Resort – $ – Photos & Current Prices – Basic accommodations close to the beautiful sea. The entire resort has a minimalist feel and is a simple, but inexpensive option.
Best Koh Lanta Hotels Near Klong Nin Beach
This is one of our favorite beaches on the island and where we are heading immediately right back to on our next visit! We loved staying at Beach Home Lanta and thought it was the perfect area to explore the island from.
You can head north to the beaches, south to the national park, or cut across the main road to Koh Lanta Old Town.
16. Beach Home Lanta – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – This is one of the best Koh Lanta hotels and where we spent a week stay! If you book in swing or off-season the hotel is a great value as you are directly on the sand. It will almost feel like you have a private beach and you can walk to all the restaurants along the water.
17. Thai Island Dream Estate – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – A high-end property and one of the most popular luxury resorts. It has a wide range of room prices with both 2-bedroom and 4-bedroom beachfront villas. Swim in a private outdoor swimming pool which is connected to your luxurious Thai-style villa.
18. Lanta Infinity Resort – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – Lanta Infinity is just 5 minutes walking distance to the beach. The hotel has a large outdoor swimming pool, modern rooms, and personal patios to take in the jungle surroundings.
19. Lanta Dareen Garden Home – $ – Photos & Current Prices – Great budget option if you are on a long-term backpacking trip. The accommodation is tucked back from the popular beach and surrounded by tropical greenery.
Best Koh Lanta Hotels in the South
Heading south from Klong Nin Beach, the island gets a little more spread out and rustic. We enjoyed staying in this part of Koh Lanta and there are some awesome hotels to check out.
At the most southern point is Mu Koh Lanta National Park which is one of the best things to do on Koh Lanta.
20. LaLaanta Hideaway Resort – $$$ – Photos & Current Prices – Gorgeous private beachfront setting on Bamboo Bay Beach. The resort has two pools and gives off a rustic tropical island feel.
21. Anda Lanta Resort – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – Located on the quite Klongjark Beach in one of the most scenic spots on the island. This is a great resort if you are looking for a secluded holiday without crowds.
22. The Houben – $$ – Photos & Current Prices – Beautiful hilltop hotel set over the stunning Kantiang Bay! The property is more of a boutique-style hotel with an iconic red-tiled pool and upscale features.
Hopefully, this guide gives you an idea of some of the best Koh Lanta hotels and what areas to stay in. As you can see, the island has a wide range of budget options and 5 star hotels in Koh Lanta Thailand.
We’ve now made four visits here and can’t wait to return again soon. If you have a favorite accommodation you would recommend to future travelers leave us a comment below!
Brigitte & Jake
PIN FOR LATER ↓
Thailand Travel Planning
Transportation: While traveling through Thailand 12Go is where we find all our ferries, trains, buses, and transfers! You can find everything from island hopping speed boats to the night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
Tours: Check out Get Your Guide to find activities all over Phuket! You can find everything from a James Bond island luxury sunset cruise, to Phuket Old Town 15-taster food adventure, and 5-hour island tour!
Travel Insurance: Never travel abroad without protection. We’ve been using SafetyWing for the last few years on the road and they are there when we need them.